Calibration Day

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro

I picked up a used Sigma 105mm macro lens on eBay a few weeks back.

The one lens missing from my kit since I switched from Canon to Nikon has been a suitable macro lens. I had this same lens in the Canon mount and loved it. Very sharp, easy to manually focus and quite sturdy.

The one I got on eBay was a total steal for the price. I’d been watching the eBay action on these lenses for over a year and when they did come up for sale, and that was far and few between, they were commanding over $350 used in good condition. I found this one for $179 and it is in near mint condition.

So today, I decided to do the lens micro-focus adjustment on my D750 and D810.  The results were better than I could have hoped for, as neither body required an adjustment to the fine focus offset. Both cameras set to 0 offset on this lens. That means that I got a perfect focusing, near mint quality macro for next to nothing.

If you are exploring the lens market, I highly recommend searching for a used version of this lens. Sigma doesn’t make this model any longer and the folks who do own them hang on to them like they are gold. And for good reason.

All In A Day’s Work

With the Christmas shopping complete, the house decorated, the outdoor lights up, I’m hunkered in to finish out the year on cruise control.

I finished up converting my wife’s old VHS home movies to digital, some 40 or so tapes. I nibbled at that for a week or so and it went fairly well all things considered.

I spent the day yesterday going through my Adobe Lightroom catalogs and noticed that I had quite a few catalogs with file names that were inconsistent between the catalogs. I decided to rename all of my image files using a common convention/methodology, to something that would make it virtually impossible for any two files to have the same name. If one relies solely on the names that come out of camera, one will end up with duplicate names. I settled on using a foolproof method of naming each file by “year-Julian day-hour-minute-second” in one continuous string.  The end result is a long name, but no two files will have the same name under any circumstances with the only exception being files photographed in bursts the same exact second, which will have a -2, -3, -4 ect tagged on to the end, which is fine, as that identifies the burst sequence. Plus, I can look at any image file and know instantly when it was taken without having to examine the exif info.

Today’s photo is image 2009183110920.cr2.  That tells me it’s a photo taken on July 2nd, 2009 at 11:09:20. I used a Sigma 105mm macro. The camera was a Canon EOS 50D.

Why such an old file?  Well, for starters, I just purchased a Sigma 105 EX DG macro lens on eBay for the Nikon mount. Ten years ago, I owned the same Sigma lens for the Canon mount and simply loved it. It was my go-to macro lens for many years until I sold it to a friend of mine when I switched from Canon to Nikon. I’ve been watching eBay for one of these lenses to come up for a year now. It’s a fantastic macro lens and they are far and few between when they do come up and usually command a high price. I got the alert this morning of a excellent condition Nikon version for under $200, so I jumped on it.

So, I’ve been having fun sitting in the office, working on old images and catalogs and scanning eBay for deals.

All in a day’s work.